John Newman has donated an original framed testimonial dated 6th September 1955, presented by the Royal Humane Society to his ancestor, Charles Major Wilcox for rescuing two brothers, Peter and Roy Rigby, from the canal. Full newspaper report given.
What Happened This Week 50/100 years ago…by Mike Belcher
Cannock Advertiser 5th December 1968
The funeral service of Mrs. Hilda May Birch, of 137, High Street, Cheslyn Hay.
Around the Chase.
Mr. E. Carter, of Gailey, ex headmaster at Cheslyn Hay, loaned a picture to the “Cannock Advertiser and Courier” taken on June 28 1939, showing members of the Cheslyn Hay Boy’s Club at the ceremony in Coppice Lane to mark the visit of H.R.H. the Duke of Gloucester.
7th December 1918 Cannock Chase Courier
The annual gathering of the Talbot Bowling Club. Full details given.
Mr. F. W. Hawkins paid tribute to the good work accomplished by the local “lads” at the weekly meeting of the Local Relief Committee and Red Cross Society.
The funeral of the late Harold Lawson.
On the same afternoon there was a Salvation Army funeral, when the remains of Mr. C. Perks, of Birds Row were interred.
It is stated that there were seven deaths in the township in two days. There are many cases of the illness. Another who was victim of the “Flu” is Mrs. T. Jukes.
The Committee of the Working Men’s Club have appointed Mr. Joseph Parsons, of Sprout Lane, Walsall, as the Steward in succession to Mr. Lockett.
Terry (Grigg) Challenger sadly passed away on Sunday 2nd December aged 73 having been admitted to hospital with pneumonia and a virus a few days earlier. Terry has always been a keen supporter of our Society prior to his ill health, helping out at Exhibitions with his wife Sue, and will be greatly missed by many people around the area. He attended both Landywood and Great Wyrley Schools and was a regular and popular member of Harrison’s football club. Our thoughts go out to Sue and the family. A simple funeral has been arranged for Terry at Stafford Crematorium on Tuesday, December 18th at 4pm and afterwards refreshments at the Dog (Talbot).