Salem Methodist Church, High Street, Cheslyn Hay are holding their Christmas Fayre on Saturday 23rd November 11am – 3pm.
Cheslyn Hay Comminuty Choir will be performing at 11am. Refreshments including light lunches will be available. You can visit Santa Grotto and there will be various stalls selling books, cards, crafts, Bric-a-Brac etc
We will be having a table selling our New Book and other publications, hope to see you all there .
Our Christmas Chat n Char Party
We have received some emails from our members thanking us for such an enjoyable morning , it was well worth all the hard work knowing how much the party was appreciated, thank you to everyone who helped make the morning such a success, and a special thank you to the Cheslyn Hay Community Choir who put together an excellent concert for us at such short notice.
Our Salem Base
Our Salem Base is open from 9am – 2pm every Tuesday
What Happened This Week 50/100 years ago…by Mike Belcher
Cannock Chase Advertiser 13th November 1969
Higher standard and more entries at the Cheslyn Hay Great Wyrley and District Chrysanthemum Society show. Full details.
13th November1969 Funeral Mr. Frank Paxton of 14, Wesley Avenue, Cheslyn Hay.
13th November 1969 Story of the Cheslyn Hay Legions sink or swim meeting
13th November 1969 Details of Cheslyn Hay Methodist Play Group’s coffee morning.
No reports for Cheslyn Hay this week in 1919
This Week in Cannock Chase Courier 1953
6th November1953 As no other department of the County Council is interested in land in Pinfold Lane, Cheslyn Hay, surplus to requirements for a primary school, the Education Committee is to sell it. Full details.
13th November 1953 Mr. G. Bladon, Mr. T. Southern and Mr. G. Whitehouse were voted by the committee life members of the Cheslyn Hay Over 60s Club, with free refreshments and competitions.
13th November 1953 Enoch Jukes of 7. Saredon Road, Cheslyn Hay, was admitted to the Royal Hospital, Wolverhampton, with a fractured leg and injuries at the Hilton Main Colliery.
Origins of Cheslyn Hay
During the medieval period the place name ‘Cheslyn Hay’ referred to one of the seven ‘hays’ which lay within Cannock Forest. The hays were districts which were managed for game, woodland and pasture by bailiffs on behalf of the King; after the 14th century it appears that the hays were the last remaining vestiges of the once much larger Cannock Forest. The precise area covered by Cheslyn Hay in the later medieval period is unknown. The historic core of Cheslyn Hay is focused upon an area we now know as High Street, Low Street and Queen Street and was known as ‘despite the expansion of settlement across this area through infilling and the re-development of older properties during the mid to late 20th century. However, this historic core retains 19th century red brick houses, some of which have been rendered, which are probably associated with the development of industry during this period. Similar houses also survive on Cross Street whose straight course suggests a later date of origin. Settlement was located on Dundalk Lane, the northern portion of Moon’s Lane, Upper Landywood Lane and Landywood Lane by at least the late 18th century. Some of this settlement which originated in the 17th century is confirmed by the survival of a row of Grade II Listed cottages of this date in Dundalk Lane. Timber framing survives to the rear of these properties which have seen early 18th century and late 20th century alterations. Expansion begins in the early 20th century along Station Street where red brick semi-detached houses survive. By the 1960s the housing expansion had concentrated at Littlewood and Glenthorne. The main period of expansion occurred in the last three decades of the 20th century to make the village what it is today.Wyrley Bank’ by the late 17th century and Cheslyn Hay by the late 19th century. The three lanes, all of which are shown on Yates’ map (1775), retain their original winding course